Havanese Haircuts for a Super-Style Havanese Pup!
There is nothing more adorable in the entire world than a Havanese dog with a cute haircut. Havanese, the spunky little canines from the island of Cuba, boasts one of the most versatile coats of hair in all of the dog kingdom. Havanese haircuts vary by dog and owner, here are the top Havanese haircut that will make these little dogs so so cute.
- Havanese Haircuts for a Super-Style Havanese Pup!
- The Havanese Grooming Situation
- Top Havanese Hairstyles
- Top Product Picks for Grooming Your Havanese – Products we love and use on our Havenese!
- What is the Havanese Dog Kennel Cut?
- Havanese Haircuts Summary
The Havanese Grooming Situation
Havanese dogs come in a wide variety of colours, from red to brown, white to black, and every hue, shade, and variation. They also have very shaggy coats of hair that are exceptionally malleable for fun and stylistic haircuts. Havanese hair can be a beast, and all that thick fur (thick hair) needs to be attended to.
Havanese don’t shed like other dogs, and are hypoallergenic so that is a bonus. Plus, their hair is sometimes wavy and sometimes curly, and even sometimes straight. If you were to never trim your Havanese dog’s hair, it would easily grow over 8 inches long within the span of a few months. Because of their quick hair growth, you can give them all kinds of neat haircuts.
When you get tired of one style, you can very quickly give your Havanese dog a new hairstyle. Today we are going to go over the top six Havanese haircut styles super popular today. Hopefully, you will find inspiration for a haircut both you and your Havanese dog will enjoy.
Get ready to bust out the Polaroid and go to the park!
Finally, You Can Now Groom your Havanese on your own at home without having to hire an expensive groomer!
Top Havanese Hairstyles
1. The Natural Havanese
This is a favourite amongst the hairstyles for the Havanese dog. It involves a whole lot of grooming, brushing and no clippers!
By letting your dog’s coat grow unimpeded by haircuts, you will find your Havanese in its most comfortable and natural state.
Your dog’s hair will grow long and wavy, just like if your Havanese dog was a wild wandering mutt.
Be Aware of Mats
The only thing to be aware of when letting your Havanese go all natural is that its hair will eventually get matted. You will need to practice constant grooming to make sure your dog’s coat keeps from tangling and forming clumps.
If you live in a place with a very hot climate, make sure your dog doesn’t get too hot in the summer with all that hair. Keep brushing it regularly, and witness your dog transform into a natural wonder.
2. The Havanese Dreadlocks (AKA Havanese Cording)
This is almost more of a lifestyle than a hairstyle. The practice of cording your dog’s hair can take upwards of two years to be complete, so you better be committed to this serious haircut. If you think you are up for it, this is one of the nicest hairstyles for Havanese dogs.
Basically, you want your Havanese dog to grow its hair naturally into cords that look like dreadlocks. Though I warn you, this is different than letting their hair grow natural and long like a vagrant.
You can help the dreadlocks form by training the dog’s fur. Every two weeks, give your dog a bath and twist their fur into locks, which will work to take the long shagginess out of their hair and turn it into fluffy and manageable spiral locks. Their spiral curls won’t be greasy or hard like human dreadlocks, but soft and nice to touch.
If you find this process difficult, or if it’s not working after a few months, you may want to speak with a professional groomer to at least get some advice. This is a fun hairstyle that can keep you engaged with your dog.
Finally, You Can Now Groom your Havanese on your own at home without having to hire an expensive groomer!
3. The Havanese Buzzcut
If you want to keep things simple and keep your dog’s hair short, you may want to try the Havanese buzzcut. You can easily do this at home with a pair of clippers. It is perfect for those who live in hot climates, and also perfect in the summer because it will be refreshing for your dog. This Havanese haircut is one of the best for certain parts of the year.
The buzz cut will keep you Havanese tangle free with a short hair look, and you can add style to the ears or muzzle with medium-length hair, or short hair. Taking care of your dog grooming tasks is also a great way to bond.
If you want to keep this hairstyle, you need to get used to trimming pretty often because of how fast Havanese hair grows back. Personally, I think the Havanese dog looks happy and handsome with a well-done buzzcut. Leave the hair on their ears floppy and buzz down their bodies so they are soft and furry.
4. The Havanese Puppy Cut
The Havanese puppy cut is just as easy as the buzz cut, it is just a little bit longer. Your Havanese dog will look like a cute and adorable puppy, no matter how old they are. This is the hairstyle that will have people stopping in the street to admire your beautiful dog. The Havanese puppy cut is also a great cut for summer, especially if you live in a hotter climate and want to keep your dog cool.
With a pair of clippers, simply trim your dog’s hair so it is roughly 2 inches long all over their body. You can easily keep their hair the same length by trimming often using a quality pair of clippers and a guard to maintain consistency.
This is one of the most popular styles for Havanese dogs. Your puppy will appreciate the breeziness of having their hair short and manageable, plus you won’t have to deal with any tangles or knots.
5. The Havanese Teddy Bear Cut
This is arguably the cutest hairstyle for your Havanese dog. Just like with the pup cut, you want to keep the hair all over their body roughly the same length, but a little bit longer at about 3 inches. As for the head, you want to keep their hair super fluffy in a round shape, making them look utterly adorable. This really is the cutest haircut for Havanese dogs.
To get the right effect, you will need to make sure the hair on your dog’s face and around their ears is just right, long and smooth so that they look just like a huggable teddy bear. Some people think this hairstyle gives each Havanese dog something of a personal expression. It also appears to be extremely comfortable for the dog.
6. The Havanese Show Cut
Our final hairstyle on the list is something that you wouldn’t even think is Havanese. The long silky maltese-looking hairstyle is something out of a movie or a book. Having said that however, this particular style is one of the most recognized show styles for the Havanese breed.
The long silky locks take quite a bit of grooming and maintenance, but when done right can really sparkle. This may not be the haircut most families choose because of its upkeep, but if you are the type of owner that likes regular brushing, grooming and blow drying this could be for you. For more on the official regulations check this article out.
Top Product Picks for Grooming Your Havanese – Products we love and use on our Havenese!
TropiClean SPA Shampoo
This lightly foaming facial cleanser soothes and balances the skin and is a game changer for us when it comes to cleaning our Havanese’s face. It is a gentle soap free shampoo that has natural exfoliating activity and gently hydrates. The refreshing blend of vanilla and blueberry effectively removes dirt and tear stains, and will not irritate eyes.
- TEAR STAIN REMOVER – With regular use of our tearless dog shampoo facial treatment you’ll see tear stains fade and white fur brightened.
- SWEET BLUEBERRY & VANILLA – SPA’s blueberry face wash for dogs is a luxurious soap free formula with a rich vanilla scent that will leave your pet pampered and smelling irresistible.
Burt’s Bees Oatmeal Dog Shampoo
Another shampoo we love to use is the Burt’s Bees Oatmeal Shampoo. This formula is free of fragrances, sulfates, colorants, and harsh chemicals and includes ingredients like colloidal oatmeal, honey, and beeswax for sensitive skin. It also comes in a variety of sizes.
- PET GROOMING BRAND IN THE USA – Join the millions of pet parents who can t get enough of Burts Bees for Pets by using Americas pet grooming brand
- SOOTHES AND SOFTENS – Burt’s Bees Oatmeal Shampoo cleans, soothes, softens, and conditions your dog’s dry skin and coat
- MADE WITH THE HIGHEST QUALITY INGREDIENTS – This gentle formula includes ingredients like colloidal oatmeal, honey, and beeswax for sensitive skin
GLADOG 5 in 1 Grooming Scissors Set & Gimars 6 in 1 Grooming Scissors Set
This is the perfect grooming kit as it comes with a variety of tools including thinning shears great for trimming around the mouth and beard, curved and straight round tip scissors a pet comb and cleaning cloth. All of these tools will be useful in trimming and tidying up areas on your Havanese. Ignore that they say for cats, as it’s actually best used for dogs.
- ★Professional Pet Grooming Scissors Kit★-The kit includes 1 × 6.5-inch thinning shear, 1 × 6.5-inch curved scissor, 1 × 6.5-inch straight scissor, 1 × pet comb, 1 × cleaning cloth, 1 × black leather case
- ★Round-end Tips for Maximum Safety★-Never need to worry about poking your pet’s skin, because all dog scissors for grooming have rounded end tips, especially when trimming sensitive areas （such as face, ears, eyes, nose, paws）
- ★Extremely High Quality Stainless Steel★-The round tips of pet scissors are made of 4CR Titanium Coated Stainless Steel, which is sharp and durable without pulling pet’s hair
- 【Professional Dog & Cat Grooming Essential Tool for Groomers】Gimars dog grooming scissors are made of 4CR stainless steel materials, dipped in a ceramic coating and suffer 60 process carefully polishing and grinding, which makes blades will not rust, cleaned easily and keep the blades sharp for a longer time than stainless steel without this sheath
gonicc Dog Clippers
These clippers are perfect for cutting Havanese nails. This pair also comes with a hidden nail file should you need to file them down.
- Ergonomically designed non-slip handles are strong,lightweight,and comfortable.
- Sharp blades are made of high quality stainless. Unlock protection prevent children from using it.
- Free Hidden Nail File conveniently stored in handle will allow you to polish sharp nails to perfection.
- Safety stop blade greatly reduces the risk of cutting nails too short.
- HIGH-QUALITY DOG WIPES: These textured wipes are the perfect everyday cleaning solution for your dog’s paws, body, and butt. With their delightful lavender scent, they keep your dog smelling fresh and clean.
- GENTLE INGREDIENTS: These dog wipes contain high-quality ingredients like soothing aloe, shea butter, chamomile, and cucumber. They are perfect for cleaning your dog after walks, hikes, or in between baths.
- USER FRIENDLY: Made of thick, durable, USDA Certified 99% Biobased material, our plant-based dog wipes have just the right amount of moisture for an effective clean every time.
How To Groom a Havanese Face
Regardless of which Havanese haircut style you choose for your dog, you will still need to groom its face. The best way to do that is to start with the eyes and make sure they are clean and clear of any sleep or dirt.
- Start with the eyes and clean out any dried sleep or dirt and grime
- Them move to the hair around the dog’s muzzle where food and other dirt and dust will collect. These dogs have a bit of a medium-length beard and things can get trapped in it. You may need to trim it.
- Using a comb with thicker wider teeth, to begin with brush out the hair and get rid of any knots or dirt left in the hair around the face – this will also keep it tangle-free.
- Next use a thin teeth brush to create a smooth silky look to finish off the grooming.
How To Find an Experienced Groomer for Your Havanese Dogs Grooming?
The Havanese coat requires knowledge of the breed and the coat itself. It doesn’t matter if you are going for a kennel cut, or a silky coat you need someone who knows what they are doing.
The best way to find someone is to speak with a local breeder, or vet and see what they recommend. Definitely look at reviews and social media to find out what kind of person they are. You can also join local Havanese Facebook groups and ask people who they use.
What is the Havanese Dog Kennel Cut?
The kennel cut is a short cut, usually 1/2″ of hair or shorter. The ears are typically left long and trimmed to give them a puppy face. They are typically shorter than the teddy bear cut. These cuts are great for travelling and for longer periods of time in the kennel. They reduce mats and help the dog stay cool. We would recommend however that you also cut the ears short. They just look better than the standard kennel cut with longer ears.
Havanese Haircuts Summary
Now that you have the 6 best Havanese haircut styles for Havanese dogs, you can experiment throughout the years with different hairstyles and different expressions of your dog’s character. I often find that different dogs look more natural with different types of hair.
Have fun and enjoy your adorable Havanese dog!