What Kind of Crate is best for the Havanese Breed?
The best crate for a Havanese dog really depends on what you are using the crate for. There are a lot of options on the market and a number of different sizes. When considering your purchase you want to make sure that you get the best value, but also the best crate for your dog. Here is a short list of the best crates that we recommend based on the different activities.
No matter which dog crate you choose you will want to make sure that you get the right size and that there is adequate ventilation. It is also important to make sure that you get something that will last and not break easily, especially if you are travelling.
What’s the best crate size for a Havanese Dog?
The best crate size for a Havanese dog is 24″ long x 14″ wide x 12″ high. This is typically the small size, but depending on the brand it might be medium. Contrary to popular belief you do not need a crate that is bigger than that for most daily activities.
You really need to pay attention to the size of the dog crate when you are considering flying. There are regulations and requirements from each airline that will definitely matter when travelling with a dog. You need to check the airline you are travelling with tom make sure that you are within their specific guidelines.
I can tell you from experience that if you are travelling with Westjet, the carrier we own and have recommend is exactly what you will need, and is a great carrier for the dog. It also has a top-loading zipper/panel which makes for great access to the dog and allows for more ventilation.
The Three Types of Crates you will Need for Your Havanese
There are three main types of dog crates to choose from:
- Soft Shell Crate – Good for travelling in the cabin on airlines
- Hard Shell Crate – Good for crate training and travelling in the car
- Hard Shell Crate, Double Door – Good for crate training and travelling in the car
We’ll go through each of soft shell and plastic crates in more detail below.
Best Dog Crate for Havanese on an Airplane
If you plan on doing any travelling with your Havanese dog you are going to need something that you can take the dog onto the plane with. Fortunately, because the Havanese is a small it will fit under your seat as your carry on.
This particular dog crate from Amazon is one that we own and use regularly on flights and it works great. It is airline approved and perfect for traveling. It comes with a machine-washable faux lambskin liner so she has a soft dog bed to sleep on.
- Perfect for traveling in style and comfort by plane or car, for an adventure or just a trip to the vet
- Patented spring wire frame allows the rear end of the carrier to be pushed down several inches to conform to under-seat requirements
- Locking zippers for safety and mesh windows for ventilation
- Padded adjustable, no-slip carrying strap, seat belt/luggage strap, machine-washable faux lambskin liner, and rear pocket for convenient storage of treats, leash, or bags
- Approved for use on most airlines and included in Sherpa’s Guaranteed on Board programSize medium is for pets up to 16″ L x 10″ H and up to 16 lbs Medium carrier measures 17” L x 11” W x 10.5” H Do NOT select the carrier size based on weight only. Choose the carrier size based on your pet’s measurements first, then make sure not to exceed the maximum weight limit..Carrier is intended for safe and comfortable travel; the pet will not have excess room to move around
We have taken Nessie on a number of Westjet flights and she does fine. We do give her a mild sedative and it works really well to calm her and keep her in a good mood.
We have found E-Z Rest to be the best option for our Havanese. It calms her without leaving her groggy or foggy.
- Global Soar , the best reliable seller , offer buy 6 this item to pay 5 get 1 free
- Promotes and enhances relaxed behaviour through phytonutrients and trace elements
- The three herbs contain antioxidants (quercetin and rutin) and have nervine properties which help reduce inflammation and create a calmer pet. Acts as a mild sedative for traveling and reducing stressful situations.
- Natural chicken flavour for increased palatability. Liquid form is easily absorbed;Safe, non-toxic herbal mixture. Safe for use for both cats and dogs
Best Dog Crate For Havanese in The Car
If you are planning on driving with your dog a lot there are a number of different things that you need to consider. Many people do not use a dog seatbelt system in their car or a crate in the car but this can be fairly risky and your dog can be injured even at a moderate sudden stop.
We generally have our Havanese dog inside her travel crate or we use a dog seat belt when driving.
We own the crate recommended below and it is a great dog crate.
You can also get other products that will keep your dog out of a crate per se, and still have the secure and safe. Here is a great seatbelt leash option.
Best Dog Crate For Havanese Puppy
If you are getting your Havanese dog from a breeder as a puppy then you will want to consider the crate that you will pick up the puppy in and the crate that will become its initial home and used or crate training. Some dog owners have benefitted from getting a slightly larger crate allowing the puppy space to move comfortably inside the crate or kennel. Our choice of crate for Nessie, despite being a bit spacious when she was a puppy, allowed her to grow into it, giving her ample room to stretch and develop as she continued to grow.
- SMALL DOG KENNEL: This cat & dog kennel features a 2-way door that opens on either side for easy pet access and ventilated sides for maximum visibility & air flow. Perfect for dogs up to 10 lbs. Measures: 19″
- TRAVEL KENNEL: Portable kennel has a durable construction & door latches for security. The pet carrier meets most airline cargo specifications for easy sky travel & has a carrying handle for transport, INTERIOR DIMENSIONS: 15.5″ L x 9″ W x 10.5″ H
Best Dog Crate For Havanese if You Need a Double Door
This dog crate from Amazon is a great carrier if you are looking for something with a double door. This plastic crate is great for times when you need to be able to access the dog from either the side or from the top. It also allows for more ventilation while travelling. Perfect for your adult havanese.
- MULTIPLE DOORS OFFER EASY ACCESS: Easy load options make it easy and less stressful for travel or house-training. Suitable for small dogs, cats, or small animals up to 15 lbs. Multiple ventilation holes on each side allows air to circulate and gives 360 view while traveling to the vet, park or groomer.
- AIR TRAVEL APPROVED CARRIER: This small dog crate or cat carrier meets most airline cargo specifications. We provide carriers and travel supplies ranging from a dog carrier to large dog crate, wire training, and exercise kennels, playpens, barn-style dog houses.
Check with your airline on which seat is the best for your pet. We have found with most airlines that booking a window seat has typically provided the best space for our carrier to fit under, but every airline may be different. You also have the option to pre-book your airline seats to insure you get the proper seat for your carrier when you travel in cabin.
What Size is a Havanese Dog
Havanese dogs are small, and usually weigh in at around 11-13 pounds. Their height ranges from about 8 inches to nearly 11.5 inches at the shoulder.
These dogs have higher length measurements than height measurements and usually measure 18-24 inches long. Although they will be full size typically around month 8, they will take a little longer to fully mature. Their typical life span is 14-16 years.
How Long can Havanese Stay Inside a Crate?
Although it really does depend on what you are doing, like the length of your flight, it is ok to leave a Havanese dog in a crate for a moderate amount of time like 3-4 hours.
Generally speaking a Havanese puppy will not want to do that. As the Havanese pup gets older it can handle more time in the dog crate. Usually one hour per month of age. That only works until they are about 6 months tho and then you don’t want to extend it past that.
Most vets and pros recommend having a bigger space if the amount of time is going to be longer.
Do Crate Sizes Matter on Airlines?
Yes, crate sizes do matter when flying with a pet on airlines. Airlines have specific regulations and requirements for the size of crates or carriers that are allowed for in-cabin and cargo pet travel. These regulations are in place to ensure the safety and comfort of the pets during the flight.
Here are some key points to consider regarding crate sizes for airline travel:
- In-Cabin Travel: If your pet is small enough to travel in the cabin with you, the crate or carrier must fit under the seat in front of you. Airlines typically have specific dimensions for in-cabin pet carriers. It’s essential to adhere to these dimensions to ensure that the carrier fits properly and does not obstruct your or other passengers’ legroom.
- Cargo Travel: For pets traveling in the cargo hold, the crate must meet certain size and structural requirements to ensure the pet’s safety during the flight. The crate should be well-ventilated, secure, and large enough for the pet to stand, turn around, and lie down comfortably.
- Sizing Guidelines: Airlines usually provide guidelines for the size and type of crate that is acceptable for pet travel. These guidelines may include measurements for crate dimensions, proper ventilation, door strength, and other safety features.
- Breed Considerations: Different breeds have different space requirements. It’s important to choose a crate size that is appropriate for your pet’s breed and size, allowing them to move comfortably without being cramped.
- Comfort and Stress: The crate should provide enough room for your pet to be comfortable during the journey. A crate that is too small can cause stress and discomfort for the pet, while a crate that has too much room might not provide the sense of security that pets often seek during travel.
- Reserve Early: If you’re planning to travel with your pet, especially in cargo, it’s essential to reserve your pet’s space on the flight and provide the necessary crate information as early as possible. Airlines have limited space for pets in cargo, and you want to ensure your pet’s crate is approved and available.
- Adequate Ventilation: Regardless of whether the crate is in the cabin or cargo, proper ventilation is crucial to ensure your pet has access to fresh air throughout the journey.
Before booking your flight, carefully review the airline’s pet travel policies, including their crate size requirements. Make sure to measure your pet accurately and choose a crate that meets both the airline’s guidelines and your pet’s comfort needs. Incorrect crate sizing could result in your pet not being allowed to board the flight or facing discomfort during the journey.