Havanese dogs have a beautiful coat. It will, however, require frequent brushing and conditioning to keep it soft and tangle-free. Havanese are more prone to mats than you would think and these mats can often hide irritated skin.
Regular washing and cutting are required to make sure your dog stays clean and groomed. We also recommend getting a really great shampoo for your dog.
What is the best shampoo for Havanese Dogs?
If you are in a hurry here is a quick comparison chart that shows our favourite choice and some other runner up type options for your dog. All of these shampoos will work, but you might like one or the other based on various factors.
How Often Should You Bathe a Havanese?
Havanese dogs are generally not considered a wash and wear type dog. They do require regular grooming and washing. I can attest to this. Our Havanese requires regular cuts and baths.
The bathing routine can be a little bit based on activity. We live in a climate that has all four seasons and provides lots of opportunities for dogs to get dirty. We end up washing her feet more often than anything else. Aside from that, she gets a full bath usually every month, sometimes more often.
Will a Havanese Dog’s Hair Mat?
The short answer is yes they will. However, it really does depend on the type of cut you give your dog and how often. Obviously the longer the hair the more chance there is for matting.
Havanese dogs generally benefit from regular brushing, especially if their hair is longer. I would say at least every week.
Havanese can sometimes cost a little more to maintain because of the grooming issues. I would really recommend talking to someone who owns a Havanese dog to get a sense of what they do and how much it costs.
Should you use Conditioner with a Havanese?
The answer to this question really depends on your dog and the type of haircut regiment that you use for your Havanese.
At our place, Nessie is kept short and her ears are kept short too. So the only really long hair she has in on her tail. We do let her hair grow a little bit before it’s cut but never more than about 2 inches. As her hair starts to get longer she needs baths more often and her food gets stuck in her muzzle.
Havanese dogs are prone to mats. And if you decide to keep your dog’s hair long there will be a higher chance of matting with the longer hair. Nessie sometimes gets mats in her tail so we try to brush it out on the regular.
We use the 2-in-1 with conditioner because we feel it makes her hair softer and also adds some moisture back into the skin from washing her. I would recommend a conditioner if you don’t get the 2-in-1.
What Benefits do you get from Bathing Your Dog?
Obviously they smell better. Some of the overlooked benefits are that your dog will actually feel better and usually respond better to you. Sometimes, dogs’ behaviour can be linked to how they are feeling and just like us a nice bath can help.
It will also be easier for you to use a harness or a collar on the dog because it won’t get stuck in the matts or hair.
Best Shampoos for Havanese Dogs Round-Up
Burt’s Bees For Dogs Dry Skin Shampoo & Conditioner Bundle
- Safe. Effective. Natural
- Made in the USA; No sulfates. No colorants. Cruelty free
- Features colloidal oatmeal to moisturize dry skin and honey to give fur a super shine
- pH balanced for dogs
- This item is not a manufacturer-created variety pack and will not be sent in the original manufacturer’s packaging
Burt’s Bees Oatmeal with Colloidal Oat Flour Dog Shampoo is made with natural ingredients like colloidal oat flour and honey for a product you can trust! Colloidal oat flour helps to deeply condition your BFF’s dry skin, while honey promotes a shiny coat. This gentle shampoo is completely pH balanced for dogs and just like other Burt’s Bees products, it’s made in the USA without artificial fragrances, chemicals, parabens, phthalates, petrolatum or sodium lauryl sulphate (SLS). And, so your pup can stay clean and protected from pests, it won’t wash off topical flea and tick treatments when used as directed! So, give your dogs coat a deep clean with this gentle, veterinarian-recommended solution that’s packaged in an 80% post-consumer recycled bottle!
- Gentle cleanser featuring colloidal oat flour and honey to moisturize dry skin and gives the fur a super shiny appearance.
- Colloidal oat flour helps itchiness due to eczema and other skin irritations.
- Honey helps regulate and retain moisture in hair and green tea extract strengthens hair follicles for healthy growth.
- pH balanced formula helps prevent dry skin, which can lead to redness or flakes.
- 97% natural, made cruelty-free and contains no sulphates or colourants so you can have peace of mind.
Earthbath 2-in-1 Mango Tango Conditioning Dog and Cat Shampoo
- CONDITIONS & DETANGLES: This 2-in-1 formula is a shampoo and conditioner in one. The luscious botanical fragrance of tropical mangoes combined with an exceptionally mild shampoo adds brilliance and shine. The extra gentle conditioner softens and detangles, leaving coats wonderfully clean, soft, & plush
- NATURAL & ORGANIC INGREDIENTS: Blended with the finest ingredients, such as renewable plant-derived and coconut-based cleansers, organic aloe vera, and vitamin E. NO PARABENS, NO DYES, NO SOAP, NO SULFATES, NO PHTHALATES, NO ALCOHOL
- SAFE & EFFECTIVE: Our products are designed with the health of your beloved, furry friend in mind. We believe the ingredients that touch your pet's coat and skin should be as naturally effective, non-toxic, and gentle as possible. This product is PH-BALANCED FOR PETS and safe for dogs, puppies, cats & kittens over 6 weeks old
- MADE IN USA & CRUELTY FREE: We at earthbath have a genuine love for pets and concern for the environment. Since 1995, these passions have been at the heart of everything we do, from the ingredients we put into our products, to how and where we make our products, and the support we show to animals in need
- HAPPINESS GUARANTEE: We are so sure you will love this product that we will refund your money if you are not satisfied for any reason
Earthbath 2-in-1 Mango Tango Conditioning Dog & Cat Shampoo help you make sure your pet’s coat is easy-to-manage, soft and smelling amazing. Add brilliance and shine with this all-natural 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner. The smell of tropical mangoes will keep your pup smelling fresh, while also detangling, leaving coats clean, and ready for cuddles.
- Shampoo won’t wash off any topical flea treatments.
- All-natural 2-in-1 soap-free shampoo and conditioner detangles coats and adds lustre and shine.
- Perfect for cats and dogs over 6 weeks of age who need a conditioning shampoo.
- 100% biodegradable, paraben and phosphate-free for a safe and trustworthy formula.
HAZARDS TO HUMANS: Avoid contact with eyes. The product is solely intended for use on coat and skin. Flush thoroughly with clean water if eye contact occurs. Keep out of reach of children. If swallowed (by humans), consult a physician.
4-Legger Aloe Dog Shampoo – All Natural and USDA Certified Organic Dog Shampoo
- TRUE ORGANIC DOG SHAMPOO - 4legger is the first and only aloe based natural dog shampoo approved by the National Organic Program to use the USDA Seal to relieve itchy skin, moisturize dry skin, and soothe inflamed and irritated skin
- HYPOALLERGENIC DOG SHAMPOO - Safe and non-toxic organic dog shampoo for dogs with ultra sensitive skin, are aroma sensitive, or when you want to add your own essential oils. Concentrated - a little and it goes a long way
- HOLISTIC ALL NATURAL DOG SHAMPOO - Veterinarian recommended aloe dog shampoo combines organic aloe juice with organic coconut oil, shea butter, olive, sunflower, and jojoba to create this gentle moisturizing formulation. No artificial or synthetic chemicals - that's the 4-Legger promise!
- ALOE DOG SHAMPOO - Aloe acts as a natural conditioner to make your dog's coat look shinier, glossier, and healthier while working to restore your dog's dandruff, flaky, or dry skin - Unscented and Fragrance Free for ultra sensitive skin. No detergent, sulfate, or preservative
- WAGGING TAIL GUARANTEE - Our planet friendly 100% biodegradable ingredients are sustainably sourced, cruelty free, vegan, USA made in small batches to ensure quality. We're pet parents who truly care about the quality of ingredients and we stand behind every bottle with our guarantee
BioSilk for Dogs Silk Therapy Deep Moisture Waterless Shampoo Spray
These shampoos are formulated for the particular pH and skin requirements of a dog. It has a plethora of moisturizers to soften the coat while also keeping the skin healthy. The company’s brand new formula includes specific all-natural ingredients that gently conditions the coat and improve its feel over time.
This shampoo is safe to use with flea and tick treatments. It also uses a natural formula free of parabens and sulphates. With nothing to trigger itchiness or irritate the skin or eyes, it helps restore moisture and repair damage.
- RESTORES MOISTURE — Silk and enriching vitamins work together to help restore moisture to your dog's coat. Before you know it, your pup will have the beautiful, silky-smooth coat you've both been dreaming of
- MADE IN THE USA — Made in the USA with the same classic ingredients as the original BioSilk line for humans. BioSilk for Dogs is proud of our moisturizing dog shampoo as well as all our other Made-in-the USA products we provide to the pet market
- GREAT FOR ITCHY SKIN — This moisturizing dog shampoo is ideal for dogs with dry, itchy skin. Regular use will both soothe your pup's dryness and restore them to comfort
- FOR ALL DOGS — This formula is suitable for all dogs and puppies 8 weeks of age and older. Dogs of all sizes and breeds can enjoy this moisture rich shampoo for all dogs. For best results, use with BioSilk moisturizing dog conditioner
- 100% SAFE — No parabens or sulfates, and pH balanced for dogs, this dog shampoo is safe for you to use on your dog regularly