Plums and dogs and eating (1)

Can Dogs Eat Plums

Can Dogs Eat Plums?

Plums are tasty. But are they tasty for your dog? An even better question: can dogs eat plums? In a world where people are serving more and more unique food to their pets, everyone wants to know if plums are safe for dogs.

The truth is that in every plum is a large seed. This seed contains several toxins, including hydrogen cyanide and amygdalin. If the seed is eaten, the acids inside the intestinal tract will work to dissolve the seed and release its toxins directly into the bloodstream. This is both bad for humans and dogs.

Related Article – Can Dogs eat Jackfruit?

In fact, plums are one of few fruits that contain hydrogen cyanide and can be deadly. The highest concentration of hydrogen cyanide is inside the plum seed, also known as the pit. But there is also hydrogen cyanide inside the foliage and roots of the plant that can cause respiratory distress and gastric irritation if eaten.

If your dog eats a plum whole, they are in big trouble. All the toxic substances inside the plum can cause a variety of dangerous symptoms, like destroying blood cells and causing respiratory arrest. If not treated, it could be fatal.

Can Dogs Eat Plums without the Seeds?

We know that seeds are toxic for dogs, but can dogs eat the flesh of the plum?

It’s not recommended. The fruit may be sweet and juicy and purple, but you shouldn’t really feed it to your dogs. A small amount of plum flesh, meaning the juicy part of the fruit, is probably not going to be harmful. But that’s only if none of the pit is ingested. It’s still risky business and should be avoided.

It’s also important to note that smaller dogs are at risk of not only dying from plum poisoning if they eat the seed, but also from choking if the pit gets lodged in their throat. Keep plums away from small dogs.

If you absolutely must feed your dog plums, make sure you don’t feed them canned plums because of the high sugar content. This is very unhealthy for your dog and can cause health issues.

Can Dogs Eat Peaches?

Dogs can eat peaches. You can indeed share your juicy peaches with your canine friend as a wonderful treat. However, there are a few things to note. First, dogs are carnivores and don’t actually eat fruit in the wild. This means they don’t need fruit in their diet. You need to remember that as carnivores, dogs have digestive systems that work dramatically different from our own. Some foods just can’t be properly digested by dogs.

That being said, peaches are an ideal source of vitamin A and fiber. In small pieces, peaches can give your dog a bit of a health boost. But you should never make peaches part of your dog’s regular diet. If you feed your dog too many peaches, they could get an upset stomach and diarrhea – and your dog won’t find any salvation with Pepto-Bismol.

You should never feed canned peaches to your dog. The same goes for preserved peaches. These both contain high amounts of sugar. They’ve also been treated with preservatives. All these things can upset your dog’s stomach and harm their digestive system.

The same goes for almost all commercial fruit because it’s almost all treated with pesticides, which can be toxic for dogs. If you’re going to feed your dog peaches, make sure you wash them first.

The biggest danger in feeding a dog a peach comes from the peach pit. It’s also known as a peach stone. These contain a sugar-cyanide compound known as amygdalin, which when ingested can become toxic. They would need to eat a lot of them to be affected, but it’s still pretty dangerous and should be avoided. And besides, peach pits are quite large and can get stuck in your dog’s throat. They can even irritate your dog’s intestines.

Can Dogs Eat Grapes and Raisins?

Grapes and raisins are even worse for dogs than plums and peaches. You should never feed your dog grapes or raisins under any circumstance. It doesn’t matter how much your dog begs or whines, don’t let them anywhere near grapes.

Grapes and raisins can cause serious reactions that are sometimes fatal. If they’re peeled, seedless, green, or purple – they’re still dangerous and should never be eaten by dogs. This is because all grapes, including dried grapes, are toxic in every amount.

Keep in mind that some dogs have nastier reactions than others. Some dogs may not seem that affected while other dogs may show serious symptoms of toxicity. It’s unclear why exactly grapes and raisins are so bad for canines, but there’s no disputing they absolutely are.

If your dog accidentally eats grapes or raisins, they may exhibit symptoms such as lethargy, dehydration, increased thirst, and of course vomiting and diarrhea. If you notice your dog is experiencing discomfort after potentially eating a grape, you need to seek out your veterinarian immediately.

How bad are grapes and raisins for dogs? If untreated, a dog can suffer fatal kidney failure from just eating a couple of grapes or raisins. A veterinarian will probably need to induce vomiting to get the toxic stuff out of your dog’s system.

What Berries Can Dogs Eat?

There are some berries that dogs can eat without getting sick. Strawberries are perfectly fine for dogs. They make a great healthy snack, packed full of vitamin C and fiber. Plus, dogs can’t get enough of strawberries!

Blueberries are a delectable summer treat that won’t make your dog sick. The same goes for raspberries, blackberries, and cranberries. These can all be fed to your dog in moderation.

However, be sure that you stay away from cherries, grapes and raisins, and of course plums. These should never be fed to your pet. There’s honestly no reason to even risk an adverse reaction. 

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *